Question
Posted by: Sue | 2007/05/09

Pain after Discectomy

i had a discectomy 18 months ago, and whilst i have no symptons relating to a herniated disc, i still suffer with lower back pain. it is more of a stiffness and affects me most when i have been sitting or lying for a while. sometimes at night, it is extremely painful just to turn over and when i first get up (i look like a granny!). at the moment, the pain is quite localised - all on my left side, lower back almost in my glutes. i am very active - i run, cycle, play tennis, pilates and gym - and i am happy to say that exercise does not seem to make it worse, in fact it always feels better. i have no idea what is normal to expect after this sort of operation and i certainly don't want to go running back to the neurosurgeon if it's not necessary. have you got any advice?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Sue
I just noticed today that the reply to your query did not register- apologies.
I definitely think that your symptoms now warrant another visit to your neurosurgeon- especially as the operation took place 18 months ago. It may not be realated to the surgery at all, but it may be a pinched nerve and he would be the best person to diagnose this, and if necessary refer you to someone else.