Question
Posted by: Lisa-Marie | 2005/11/19

Pain afer vaginal birth?

I had a vaginal delivery 9 days ago. I had some "small internal tears" which were stitched but no episiotomy.

My clitoris is very sore and I was wondering why this is. I have been taking sitz baths 2-3 times a day since delivery but am concerned about infection. Mi labia minora look a greyish colour (not sure if its just bruising and trauma)? How long should I expect to feel discomfort and should I do anything about my sore and tender clitoris? Not sure if I need to go back to the gynae or if this is all normal. Your advice would be appreciated

Nine days is quite recent. You clitoris was probably involved in the bruising. Infection would cause pain and fever and a discharge. Give it another week to see if there is improvement.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2005/11/21

Get one of those blow up swimming rings that toddlers use and sit on that whenever you sit down. It helps take the pressure off.

I had barely any pain after about 3 weeks, and by 5 weeks no pain and everything seemed mostly back to normal.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Nicky | 2005/11/19

I've had 2 natural births - no pain relief during labour or after and I can tell that what you are experiencing is normal. Of course you are going to feel discomfort - look at what you have just let you body do for you. The pain on the clitoris I remember feels like a pressure weighing down on it. Sitz baths are a good idea. Give it another 10 days or so - you'll start feeling a little bit more like you again. Well done!!!

Reply to Nicky