Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/01/21

Pain?

Hello Dr Bets,
Its Ruby again. I saw the specialist doctor on 10 Jan and he was very happy with my heart, lungs and overall health. I was also feeling well when I saw him. Only problem I still had (inspite of 3 months Flixonase and Zertec) is a sinus problem (sinus pain and post nasal drip). He changed my medication to: stop flixonase and zertec, start singulair 10mg x 1, Deselex x 1 and Nasonex nose spray for the sinus problem, continue trepiline 10mg (for spasms), continue pantoloc 40 x 2 (for reflux), discontinue slow K, continue Concor 2,5 mg (for heart). The other problem I had when I saw him was just that I am very very very tired, he said that it could be because of the sinus problem. I then went to see the neurologist. He was also happy to see that I am MUCH better. I also told him about the tiredness and that I wake up from not breathing well. (Before that, in the holidays I saw a GP, cause I would stop breathing as soon as I fall asleep, he said that I get sinus sleep apnea and gave me antibiotics, I felt great on the antibiotics, but as soon as I finished the course, everything returned as before) The neurologist ordered a polysomnogram to check for sleep apnae, am going in for that on Thursday and will have the results a week later. The problem I have now, is that the sleepyness/tiredness is getting much worse and I wake up every morning with pain. First just pain in my hands, today pain in my legs, back, hands, arms, ears, head, eyes, sinus and chest. I am not sure how to describe the pain. I also feel pain in most of my joints, especially in my hands. Almost like headache pain, just most of my body. I am very tired and really battle to focus on my work. I was supposed to write an exam last week, but felt to tired and postponed till next week Tuesday. I am doing a masters degree and have to fly from Joburg to Capetown for the exam, I would not want to change my flights/exam again. Any advice on what I can do to feel better? Any idea what could cause this pain?? Thanks very much doctor!

Dear Ruby
Your symptoms are suspicious of fibromyalgia, a condition that can develop due to poor sleeping patterns ( one needs a certain amount of REM or deep dreaming sleep to have normal brain function) I won’t do anything drastic until you had your polysomnogram but what may help in the mean time is anti-inflammatories like Voltaren or Indocid suppositories ( as to not irritate your stomach) if it is very bad, otherwise take Panado 2 six hourly. Try magnesium supplement and Vitathion for the tiredness.
See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079

1
Posted by: ml | 2008/10/18

Recently gave birth (5 wks) and notice when I nurse her my head will jerk to one side sometimes if I doze off. Can you tell me why this might be occuring?

Reply to ml