Question
Posted by: Madeleine | 2007/11/29

Oxygen shortage in my body

For many years I have struggled with constant fatigue and yawning. Tests revealed that I just have enough oxygen in my body for my organs to survive because my breathing is too shallow. What can I do to increase my oxygen levels and to force myself to breath deeply?

Dear Madeleine
You can practice breathing exercises: Put one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach. Take a deep breath in and make the hand on your stomach move and the hand on your chest remain still. Takes a bit of practice, but with practice it gets easier. Take a deep breath in and hold it for a count of three. Then breathe it out through your mouth and count to five before taking the next deep breath. This prevents you from hyperventilating. You need to practice this breathing daily for at least ten minutes so that it becomes an automatic response.