Question
Posted by: confused | 2005/11/28

Ovulation/No periods

I do not get my periods (only had 3 natural periods in my life, i am 26 now)
I get a period if i get put on medicaiton or stay on the pill.....i have been on clomids, had IVF done and still no baby

My question is, should i been on any medication while i am not on fertility treatment.........as at the moment i am not on anything and no not get a period.....it can go by for up to 2 years that i am not on any fertility medication and do not get a period, is this fine, or should i be on some sort of HRT?

Dear Confused

The main issue is to determine the underlying reasons for the amennorrhaea (i.e absence of periods).

If it is is based on a hormonal problem, than correct hormonal manipulation will be of value. However, if there is an underlying uterine problem or endometrial problem, this has to be dealt with on a surgical basis.

Should there be signs of premature ovarian faiure or premature menopause, I would recommend that you maintain yourself on HRT, as the risk of osteoporosis (i.e, the progressive thinning of bones), becomes an important complication, which at this point in time, can be successfully avoided.