Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/11/01

Ovulation Test and fertility

I have used the ovulation test twice now over the past 2 months and it quickly shows that I am ovulating. I would like to know if this means that the egg is free to be fertilized and in the fallopian tube. Where exactly is the egg sitting at this stage? Is it possible that even though the test shows I am ovulating that my tubes could be blocked somehow. I have that egg white discharge during ovulation. I have read this discharge means you are ovulating, but what exactly causes this discharge and would it still happen if my tubes were blocked? I know that I do have a small ovarian cyst and a small uterine fibroid. Could they affect my chances of conceiving and in what way would they adversely affect fertility? We are trying for a child now for the past 2 months, but nothing has happened yet.

The ovulation test just means that an egg has been released from the ovary. It does not tell you about the state of your tubes. If your tubes were blocked, the egg would not be able to get through to be fertilised. You would have to have additional tests to assess your tubes. If you are ovulating, the ovarian cyst will not affect fertility and a small fibroid should not do so either. I would suggest that you see a fertility expert.