Question
Posted by: COMFORT HERSELF | 2007/03/09

OVULATION-I NEED THE EDUCATION

HI
I NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT OVULATING.WHAT DOES IT MEAN AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT IS HAPPENING.

iS IT HAPPANING DAYS AFTER YOUR PERIODS OR IS IT BEFORE YOUR PERIODS.AND BETWEEN THESE TIMES WHICH ONE IS THE BEST IF YOU WANT TO CONCIVE.

aND THI S14 AN D28 DAY PERIOD THING CONFUSES ME.

I hope that Maya has helped.

3
Posted by: ion | 2007/03/11

not sure how long my periods are?

Reply to ion
Posted by: MD | 2007/03/09

For more reading you can also visit YOURDAYSdotCOM

Reply to MD
Posted by: Maya | 2007/03/09

Firstly, every women has a different cycle length. It can range from 28 days to 38 days (some women are even shorter or longer than this average).
For the sake of convenience a 28 day cycle is usually used for example purposes.
Ovulation is when an ovum (egg) is released from the ovaries and is now viable for fertlisation (i.e. you are most likely to fall pregnant when you ovulate).
Ovulation usually occurs 14 days before your next expected period, but it can occur later or earlier. So you count back 14 days from the day you expecting your period and that is when you may ovulate, but as said it can occur earlier or later!
When trying to conceive, you should have sex every second day and start a little before the time of ovulation. Sperm survives for 3 days so its best to try a day before so that the sperm is already there to meet the egg.
You can get an ovulation kit from the pharmacy that can help you determine when you could be ovulating. In order to use the test kit you need to know your cycle length:)

Reply to Maya