Question
Posted by: nadine | 2004/03/11

Ovulation at what temperature

I have been of the 2 month injection for 2 years. My husband and I are trying desperately to conceive our first child. I had a myomectomy done and endometriosis burned on 11 Feb 04. According to my gynae everything is fine, hormone and thyroid test came back normal. I bought a digital thermometer to measure my temp as I heard that a rise in temp is indicative of when one is ovulating. Is this true? and if so at what temp is it? Is there a time frame within which I should have sex to improve my chances of conceptionl Please advise. I am 30 and hubby 36.

The change in temperature just before ovulation is very small - 0.5 degrees. You should have sex around the time of ovulation, so as soon as the temperature changes and then every second day for the next four days.

1
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/03/11

What you are referring to is the basal body temperature charting method. Basically everyone has a different waking temperature so is not possible to say at what temp you will be at after ovulation. I have to stress though that this method will not tell you when ovulation is about to take place but rather once it has as the temp rises only after it is to late to make a baby.

I'll give you a rundown as briefly as possible and then you can have a search on the net for more info.

You have to take your temp every morning at the same time before getting out of bed. Day one is the first day of your period. Plot the temperature on a chart each day, you should see it dip a bit each day and then start to rise. When you see a sudden rise 0.2degrees C ( shouldn't take more than 2 days ) higher than the previous 6 days temps and it stays there for at least 3 days in a row, then you know ovulation has taken place. For most people your temps will be about 36.1 - 36.5 during the first half of your cycle and between 36.6 - 36.8 after ovulation has taken place. If you fall pregnant you may see another rise in your temps about 9 or 10 days after ovulation which could be between 36.9 and 37.1. You should also chart your cervical mucus to give you a better idea of your fertile time this may help in that if you see a sudden drop in your temp one morning ( caused by the LH surge ) and you have eggwhite mucus at the same time this would be an indication you are about to ovulate. Once you see this your temps should rise in the 3 days following to indicate ovulation has taken place.

I've used this method and fell pregnant but have to say its stressfull because you keep waiting for ovulation to take place and think it should be a last resort. If you have a regular cycle I think using an ovulation predictor kit would be a better way of determining ovulation.

Reply to Wendy