Question
Posted by: Jan | 2003/12/03

Ovulation and Sex! Help

How long should sperm last if intercourse occured the day before Ovulation? Is it better to have intercourse every 2 days over the fertile period? How long does Ovulation last? Just would like to clarify a few things please.

Thanks for all your help!

I hope that Kate and Wendy have helped.

3
Posted by: Jan | 2003/12/03

Hi Kate and Wendy

Thanks for the advice, I have a long irregular cycle so have been monitoring my cycle with one of those saliva testers. It came up with the so called fertile period pattern yesterday and we tried the day before and then there was nothing this morning on the monitor, so am very confused! Anway I have a suspision that I may not be ovulating, but will try anyway this month. Have a gynae appointment booked for Jan, so will get everything checked out then. But thanks for the info.

Reply to Jan
Posted by: Kate | 2003/12/03

Ovulation occurs 14 days before your period starts. You should have sex every second day during ovulation time. From four days before to four days after to be on the safe side! So a cycle of 28 days: you would ovulate on day 14, have sex day 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18.

Don't get up straight away, lie on your back with your bum propped up on pillows for about 30 minutes. May sound like an old wives tale, but it works!

Best of luck!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Wendy | 2003/12/03

Once the egg has been released, it only last about 24 to 48 hours so it is important to have a good supply of sperm already in the system in order for conception to occur. Sperm however last on average between 2 - 3 days but can survive for as long as 5. You should therefore be having sex at least every 2 days from day 10 to 16 if you have a short cycle, but at least until day 23 in a long cycle ( 35 day cycle ovulation would only occur on day 21 ). Hope this helps.

Reply to Wendy