Question
Posted by: Megan | 2007/03/08

Ovulation and Conception

I wonder if you could help me, i ovulated on day 21 of my cycle and had intercourse on day 19 in the late evening, what do you think my chances are of conceiving this month? i am currently on day 23 and was wondering if it would make a difference if we had inter course tonight?
your advise would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Dear Megan

Assuming normal sperm parameters, it would be expected that sperm will be of good fertility quality for at least 3-4 days in the female genital tract. Hence, if ovulation had indeed occured on day 21, this would be adequate. however it is important to note that once ovultion has occured, the egg is only fertilisable for 24 hrs and therefore having intercourse at this stage (day 23) would make any difference.