Posted by: PJF | 2008/09/15

Good day

I have had regular periods all my life, except last month. I was late and on the 3rd day after my period was due I started spotting but not blood, more like a brownish discharge. This past week I have seen the CM that you normally see around the time of ovulation, I also had the pains that I normally get just before ovulation and if I had gotten a period last month this would be the week that I should ovulate in. My question however is this –  I had the pains Monday/Tuesday, the 8th, saw the first cm on the Wed evening and Thursday morning, but then I saw it again on Saturday morning and on Sunday evening. Did I ovulate? When? Was is Wed/Thurs or Sat/Sun. I am on a 30 day cycle.

Hope you can help.

Dear PJF

Cervical mucus is a highly unreliable sign of ovulation and can occur in any situation where there is an imbalance between estrogen and progesterone (high estrogen ratio). In the light of the abnormal last period, it would be prudent to exclude a pregnancy by doing either a home pregnancy test or a laboratory blood test. Should this be negative, the next most likely probability is that of an ovarian cyst which should be excluded by means of ultrasound scanning.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim