Question
Posted by: Rhane | 2007/06/22

Ovulation

I wrote in a while ago w.r.t. me not falling pregnant. I used Premelle to induce my periods and it worked. After 2 months I got my period on Monday. But still do not understand the ovulation period. When will it occur? I also read that even if you do get your period that does not necessarly means that ovulation will take place? What would you recomend?

DEAR RHANE

You are quite correct in believing that the return of menstruation does not necessary imply that ovulation has returned. In general, ovulation should precede menstruation by at least 14 days. This is assuming that there is no artificial induction of menstruation as in the use of premelle or other oral contraceptive/HRTs. In order to detect ovulation in advance you should start testing from about day10 of your cycle (counting from the first day of bleeding as day 1). The best means of testing will be urinary LH testing kits, for example Clearplan.
I also suggest that you continue testing if necessary for at least 10 days and if no ovulation signs have been detected, you should visit your gynaecologist for a full hormone evaluation and ultrasound scan. This will give you a better indication of whether the problem of impaired ovulation is due to a hormonal imbalance such as polycystic ovarian disease, or due to other factors such premature ovarian failure or premature menopause.