Question
Posted by: Verna | 2007/04/11

Ovulation

I've been off the pill for 8 months. My husband & I are trying to conceive (we already have 1 child). I'm trying to calculate my ovulation dates, but the past two months my periods are between 10 - 12 days late. So I'm not sure when I ovulate and are we having sex on the right days to conceive. Can I get an ovulation test kit at a pharmacy or must I try to see my doc?? I've also lost alot of weight the past few months due to stress at work - is that a possible factor for late period?

Dear Verna

Often, once the oral contraceptive pill has been withdrawn, the true underlying pattern of menstruation emerges. In some cases, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) begins to manifest itself, and typically cycles get delayed and ovulation progressively occurs less and less frequently. However, other hormonal factors such as thyroid imbalance and prolactin problems may also present in a similar fashion and therefore a full hormone profile may be necessary. However, in the interim, it may be advisable to monitor ovulation using the ovulation testing kit. In this instance it may be necessary to use not just a single testing kit but two kits per month starting from day 10 of the cycle and continuing up to day 19. Should no ovulation be detected during the testing interval then certainly a visit to the gynaecologist is necessary.