Question
Posted by: sd | 2006/11/06

ovulation

I am on clomid, and visit my gynae for regular follicle scans, and also use opk's. I have fell pregnant on my first clomid round but miscarried. During this first round I used opks as well and also had ovulation cramps to help tell me when I am most fertile.My cycle days vary.

After miscarrying in June I notice that in October my opk was + on day 14, but I got my period on day 32, which means that I ovulated on day 18. This has happended in the past 3 months with opk's while i am on clomid.

What will I attribute this to? Are my hormone levels imbalanced? Is my LH so high that 4 days prior to ovulation the test region is darker than the control region.Please help

Dear SD

The picture you described is characteristic of a prolonged luteal phase (the phase between ovulation and menstruation). This does not imply that you ovulate later but that the phase from ovulation to menstruation is disproportionately lengthened. The most common cause for this is a luteal cyst, which is a hormone-producing and persistent. In such cases the use of low dose clomid (half a tablet daily) might be advisable together with careful ultra sound monitoring and luteal support in the form of progesterone which should be introduced at least 3 to 4 days after ovulation has occurred.