Question
Posted by: Jane | 2004/02/23

ovulation

Hi there,
My gynae has just informed me that I do not ovulate. I went to see her because my husband and I have been trying to conceive for a year, to no avail. She has prescribed Clomid; which I will take. Apart from my not ovulating; I have no other health problems- I am a bit underweight- have always been small. Basically I'm as fit as a fiddle, except for not ovulating; and being underweight. I am 1.64m tall and weigh around 47kgs.
I have some queries about my lack of ovulation:
1) Does this mean I have NEVER ovulated; or does it just mean I didn't ovulate last cycle?
2) Will I never ovulate naturally?
3) How will my body respond to being forced to ovulate?

If there is any other info you could give me about this subject, I would greatly appreciate it.
Jane

I cannot say whether or not you have ever ovulated. However, it is likely that your being underweight contributes to this. Very thin or very fat people often do not ovulate because the hormonal control of the cycle is interfered with. It may help if you gained some weight. The Clomid may or may not cause you to ovulate. It acts by mimicking the normal hormonal changes and therefore tricks the ovary into ovulating. However, it does not work for everyone.