Question
Posted by: Denalee | 2004/01/19

Ovulation

This may sound like a stupid question, but one I really need an answer for. I know that ovulation occurs on day 14 if you have a 28 day cycle and I know that an egg is released. My question is that should I have sex on Day 14 when the egg is released is this the day a person is most fertile and is this the day one can succeed in falling pregnant. The reason I ask is that my husband and I are trying for a baby and are a bit confused as to when exactly you can fall pregnant and when you cannot.

The egg and sperm survive for a few days, so between Day 12 - 16 wuld be the best time to try.

2
Posted by: nelly | 2004/01/20

what about a person with irregular periods? between 21-30 when is the best time to try?

thanks

Reply to nelly
Posted by: Nix | 2004/01/19

You can have sex on the day of ovulation or 2/3 days before. Sperm lives for an average of 3 days and your egg only survives for 24-36 hours after ovulation - so you have a short window in which to conceive.

Try having sex on day 12, day 14 and maybe even day 16 to be safe. It might not happen straight away, so be patient.

Good Luck!!

Reply to Nix