Question
Posted by: Jolly | 2004/11/02

Ovulating while menstruating? - Very, very confused

Out of curiosity, I used the Fertile Focus Ovulation microscope (it uses saliva) on day 31 of my cycle before I had my period, and surprise, surprise - apparently I was ovulating or about to.

I had heard from my gynae that if you are pregnant, it would also show that you are ovulating (is this true by the way?). Anyway, as I am TTC, I was hopeful, but then my period started on day 33.

A few months back I tested positive for pregnancy with a blood test, but the fertilised egg failed to implant for some reason, and I started menstruating. I was told that it could be that my progesterone levels were too low, and if it happens again I might need a supplement to assist implantation.

So, when I started my period this month, I wanted to make sure that the same thing wasn't happening again so I went for a blood test and it was negative (the count was 0).

Now, what I'm very, very confused about, is - the Fertile Focus is still saying I'm ovulating even though I have my period. What is happening in my body? Could I be ovulating at the moment? Or could I have been pregnant and once again failed to implant and that's why the blood test was negative?

I really need to know what's going on, so that if there's problem I can do something about it!!

Please help!

A few women do ovulate very late in pregnancy but it is unusual. It is possible that the test was wrong. Pregnancy causes the same hormones to increase as with ovulation, hence the positive result there.
I would think that either the test was wrong or you ovulated late.

2
Posted by: Jolly | 2004/11/03

Thanks for the info - at least now I know my body's not going through something strange!

Reply to Jolly
Posted by: Tilli | 2004/11/03

Hi Jolly,
While trying to concieve I experianced the same thing! This is what I found on the fertile focus web page of FAQ
"What is an "estrogen surge" or "estrogen spike"?
While estrogen is present in your body throughout your cycle, just prior to ovulation you may have an “estrogen surge” - a marked increase in the presence of estrogen. The increase of estrogen facilitates the ferning patterns in your saliva. An estrogen surge or ovulation may not occur in all cycles for all women.

Are ferning patterns observable at other times in my cycle?
A second second estrogen surge may occur right at the end of your cycle. By monitoring cycle length, and keeping daily results, the second surge should not be confounded with the estrogen surge preceding ovulation. Also, as different women produce differing levels of estrogen, ferning patterns may vary a bit in appearance and duration.

Hope that helps....

I must say I tried both the Urine LH tests and Fertile Focus and struggled to get an accurate pattern of my cycle (did the tests for about 8 months!) - a blood test on day 21 did confirm that I was ovulating. I did have a look on my fertile focus on day 32 - and it showed a surge - like other menstrating months - and I was pregnant! So best to only use fertile focus to track your mid-month surges!
Good luck - I am now 17 weeks pregnant and feel so blessed every day!

Reply to Tilli