Question
Posted by: Clara | 2007/04/04

Ovulating - trying for a baby

Hi Doc,

I read through the Ovulation section, it is still not very clear to me. Do we have to have sex before I start to ovulate or while I am ovulating. My period started on 11 March, 14 days from then on 24 March we had sex every second day until Wednes 28 March when I started to ovulate. We had sex again on the Wednesday and the Thursday, but we had my parents up from Bloem the weekend and there where no time for sex. I am still ovulating, can we still try or is it too late. My period should start this Sunday 8 April again. Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Clara.

As the others have said, ovulation only occurs on one day. the best time to have sex is two days before to two days after ovulation. The egg -whits discharge can go on for a few days after ovulation.

4
Posted by: M | 2007/04/04

I agree with Nix - but ovulation is only one day.
Not everyone gets that cervical mucus either and I am pregs and get it ocassionally.
You may be lucky this month but only time will tell - you can test once the period is missed.

Reply to M
Posted by: Nix | 2007/04/04

that is a sign that ovulation has occurred.

Reply to Nix
Posted by: Clara | 2007/04/04

M, I had a discharge of egg white on 28 March and it still comes out everyday even this morning I had the same discharge. What is this then, the egg white discharge?

Reply to Clara
Posted by: M | 2007/04/04

Just to clarify - you ovulate 1x per cycle and actual ovulation last about 24 hours. So you would need to have sex prior or on ovulation as sperm can survive longer than the egg does.
What you need to do is work out your cycle length. I.e day 1 of period is 1 and last day before next period is the final cycle length. Judging by your dates that is 28 days. (You probably ovulated on the 25th or abouts.) Then count back 14 days and that is about where you'll ovulate although not everyone is like clockwork. Have sex 3 days before and 3 days after - every other day or when you feel like it.
What helped for me is to raise your bottom on a pillow for 20 mins after your hubby has ejaculated to keep sperm moving in the right direction. Good luck

Reply to M