Posted by: cally | 2009/02/18

overworked, underpaid, underappreciated.

My job title is HR Assistant, reporting directly to the company HR Director and then the Group HR Director.
My query is, although my job title is HR Assistant, I have many responsibilities. I am, together with my assistant, responsible for the industrial relations (i.e. discipline, grievances, etc) for over 1000 people. I also handle the majority (9 out of 10) of the company' s CCMA cases, winning most of these (I have only ever lost once, and that was when the HR Director was there with me and took the reins! Otherwise I have settles one or two, for the nuisance value, and won the rest). I also have other duties, such as liaising with the union, and other similar things. I recently told my boss that I wanted to resign, due to a variety of reasons, and the company called me to a meeting, saying that they would appoint 2 new assistants for me to train up, so that I could then concentrate on CCMA and serious disciplinary inquiries, that they would start a new department outsourcing HR and that they would promote me to the senior position, and that they would review my salary. This led me to believe that they value me and want to keep me.
However, they haven' t come to the party... a month onwards and they haven' t delivered at all. I am currently earning a gross of R9400. Is this a fair salary, or should I seriously consider resigning and looking elsewhere? Part of my reason for initially wanting to resign was not only because I was being overworked, but also that my salary seems disproportionate to the work I was doing, and also I was very unhappy with the amount of unfairness, victimisation and double standards that I could see in the company...
Help please!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


You certainly sound as if you have a lot of duties and responsibilities, however, there is no law giving a bottom line payment

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: cally | 2009/02/19

Perhaps I should find a company which would appreciate me and which delivers on promises...

Reply to cally

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.