Question
Posted by: Ivan | 2010/05/26

Overweight Fox Terrier/Jack Russel

Our dog is part Jack Russell and part Fox Terrier. She is 8 years old. She weighs 15kg. She should weigh 7.5 kg.

I took her to the Vet at the beginning of April 2010, and was advised to put her on a diet. At the time of the visit she weighed 14.7kg.She has gained 300g in this period.

I am feeding her the recommended allowance for a 7.5 kg dog  though I did not start that immediately, just gradually.

A few points:
·  She was spayed at 9 months old.
·  She lives with my parents who are both 80 years in age.
·  She did have bad eating habits such as sweets, human food, and coffee etc. This has completely stopped.
·  We do not take her walking, as we stay in a high crime zone.
·  I have introduced a miniature dachshund puppy into the household. This has helped in that she is more active.
·  She has lost interest in chasing the tennis ball.
·  We have a ¼  acre property with enough space for the dog to run and play.

Could you please advise what we can do to get our dog back to what she was?

Hi Ivan Before we start it is important that your JRT/FT does not have any medical conditions that could predispose to obesity - Hyperthyroidism, Cushings disease(hyperadrenocorticism), Insulinoma, Adult onset diabetes, Pituitary gland and brain disease. In addition you must also realise that one of the unfortunate results of spaying maybe weight gain as this lowers metabolic activity - it is known that oestrogen has the effect of reducing appetite As you know food intake and exercise are the key parts to weight loss. Begin by reducing the vol of food by 15-30%. Feed regular small meals of your regular food 2-4 x daily. If the vet advises a diet change then put onto a low calorie diet such as Hill's, Eukanuba -these are low fat, low calorie, high fibre diet with a high ratio of protein to calories and we find them very effective. It is important that you slowly change the diet over to the low calorie diet otherwise the dog with refuse to eat the food. Exercise - if you have time put the dog in the car and take her to the park where she has a new interesting environment. Walk for about 20-40mins daily x 5 days a week I hope the above is of help

2
Posted by: Ivan | 2010/05/27

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately I work, and don''t get the opportunity to take the dog for a walk during the week. Only the weekends. My dad still drives, but his 8o with bad knees.

I will have to think of something else. Maybe a treadmill with moving artificial scenery ha ha.

Reply to Ivan
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/05/26

Reply to CyberVet