Question
Posted by: Cat | 2004/12/20

OVERWEIGHT DOG

how do i get my overweight dog to lose weight? i'm unsure of her accurate weight but according to our vet she is overweight.
The vet reccomended putting the dog on a chunk-diet. Do you have any other recommendations? She is a white shephard and also appears to be suffering from arthritis- she sits and rises very slowly, is lethargic, sits/sleeps for long periods of time, has a very slight limp in her walk. Could her weight result/only result in these arthritic symptoms. Is there anything i can do to prevent any further arthritis. What other consequences are their for an overweight dog. By the way the dog is about 9-10 years old.
Thank you!

Hi Cat
You don't say what diet your dog is on. The best is to put her on lite or senior chunks, measured according to her weight, minus a little as you want her to lose some weight. You can add healthy leftovers such as grated carrot or apple or boiled vegetables. If you give her home-cooked food, I suggest you look at the quantity and proportions of food. Dogs should get about a quarter meat (raw, lean) to three quarters vegetables/rice/well-cooked mealie meal. If you are giving this, then try reducing the amount by about a third every day. Give her a large raw bone or a cowhoof to chew after her meal. Exercise is another aspect and you need to take your dog for daily 10 minute to half hour walks and play with her gently for at least 10 minutes each day. Being overweight would make her more likely to have joint and ligament problems, but you need to treat this as well and the vet is the best one to ask. I recommend human arthritis tablets (e.g. ArthroEase) to help prevent it getting worse. Like humans, being overweight can affect a dog's whole body and makes it more susceptible to heart attacks and many other diseases.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

2
Posted by: Pi | 2004/12/21

Chat to the vet about the arthritis. I give my 11 year old dog a homeopathic powder to ease pain. There's no cure for arthritis, you can only make his life easier. Also his over weight problem is making the arthritis worse.

Like Chill said, search the site and get all the discussions about the topic, best is to also to really have an indepth discussion with your vet about his condition. Helping him is not something you will be able to do without the help of a good vet.

Good luck!

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Chill | 2004/12/21

Follow your vet's advice.

Your dog's weight most certainly can be causing ALL of the symptoms you describe.

Both the questions of weight control and arthritis have been covered many times in this forum, and you will find a lot of useful information if you do a few searches on this site, using keywords such as 'overweight', 'arthritis', 'supplement' etc.

Reply to Chill