Question
Posted by: Janet | 2004/01/29

overweight child

My daughter is 6 years old and weighs 32,8 Kilo's. What kind of diet should she be on? She is now starting to be teased.

Dear Janet
The average weight of 6-year-olds is about 20 kg, so your lassie is rather overweight. I would firstly suggest that you have her examined by a Paediatrician or a physician to determine if there is any underlying problem. If such a problem should exist, then the dr will prescribe the necessary treatment. If there is no underlying problem then I would strongly urge you to also consult a clinical dietitian, because it is essential that your daughter still obtains all the nutrients she requires for growth, while helping her to lose weight. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. An important aspect of weight control in children is exercise, so encourage the lassie to start being more active (cycling swimming, school sport or even attendance of a gym are all options that you can explore). Also click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' for information and menus for 6-year-olds.

1
Posted by: kennyg | 2004/02/02

Hmm. As always, the biggest problem is that the food industry makes a bunch of junk that consists mainly of carbohydrates. Why? Because it's cheap to produce, has a long shelf life, and makes the most profits. Quit buying the junk they produce and live longer and healthier.

Get your daughter onto an insulin balance diet (35% protein, 35% fats and 30% carbs) and you'll see the difference.

The fats are essential for the correct functioning of the hormones, especially insulin. Also, the fats trigger the body to know when you've had enough. Things like fizzy colddrinks bypass that altogether. The glucose and insulin rollercoaster is what makes practically all fat people what they are.

The exercise advise is good, as is the advise to check out that there is no medical problem.

See Leslie Kenton's book, "The X-factor Diet". It's the most balanced approach that I have seen so far.

Don't believe the naysayers. Do your own research on low-carbs, Atkins, and the insulin resistance syndrome. Also, don't believe a word they tell you about saturated fats and cholesterol causing coronary artery disease. That's not the cause at all. Coronary artery disease is caused by deficiencies in Vitamin C and the amino acids lysine and proline. Recent research (since 1990) is showing up more and more proof of this by the day.

Just remember that the "Healthcare Industry" is really doing "Business in Disease" and do your own research into the subject of nutrition. There is a wealth of information on the Internet. Just do a Google search, and start reading!

Reply to kennyg