Question
Posted by: mabaker | 2004/01/25

overweight child

I have a little boy of 9 years of age although very big and tall for his age he seems to be overweight weighs approximately 42- 45kg. Is there any particular diet that he could be placed on which will not effect him adversly. Any other suggestions that will keep him healthy and emotionally intact.

Dear Ma Baker
The average weight and height for 9-year-olds is about 26 kg and 128 cm. Your lad is, therefore, much heavier. I would firstly suggest that you have him examined by a Paediatrician or a physician to determine if there is any underlying problem. If such a problem should exist, then the dr will prescribe the necessary treatment. If there is no underlying problem then I would strongly urge you to also consult a clinical dietitian, because it is essential that your son still obtains all the nutrients he requires for growth, while helping him to lose weight. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. An important aspect of weight control in children is exercise, so encourage the lad to start being more active (cycling swimming, school sport or even attendance of a gym are all options that you can explore).