Question
Posted by: Nita | 2004/11/15

Overweight Boerboel

I have a 6 year old female Boerboel, who is seriously overweight.

I have tried cutting down on her food intake during the day but then I feel like a mother depriving her child of food. I cannot take her out to run as she is extremely aggressive towards all the other dogs in the neighbourhood.

Any advice please?

If she is generally healthy, I would suggest you put her on a strict commercial diet available from your veterinarian. The right excellent choices available for this purpose. Request the help of your veterinarian, and do not be in too much of a hurry it can take many months but is well worth the effort. That is the best and healthiest way of going about weight loss in a dog. Your vet can then also examined her to make sure that she does not suffer from hormonal problems like excessive cortisone or deficiency of thyroid hormone.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/15

There is a special food available from vets. It has fewer calories, but you feed the same amount, so that neither of you feels the dog is deprived.

Does the dog retrieve? Perhaps you could throw a ball in the garden every day to exercise it.

Reply to Acineth