Question
Posted by: Van | 2003/12/09

overweight at three!

My son has just turned 3 and weighs 22kg ! He eats very well. What can I do to bring his weight down ?

Dear Van
Goodness - he already weighs as much as a 7 year-old! Please have him checked by a Paediatrician just to make quite sure that he does not have an underlying illness which is causing this abnormal weight gain. I would also recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian as you need individual advice on how to help your child to reduce. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian. Physical activity is one of the most important and useful aids to losing weight in young children, so get him to be active - take him for walks, swimming, teach him how to ride a bike and take him cycling, let him skip every day - anything to get him active and using up some of that fat. Also click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on toddlers and also on obesity.