Question
Posted by: me | 2008/07/24

overweight and trying to get pregnant

I weigh 97kg and is 1.66m tall. I know I am very overweight and I am struggling to loose weight. I suffer from insulan resistance and am trying to follow a low GI diet, but I still do not loose as I would like to and I do not want to follow unhealthy diets that will ensure faster weight loss.

The problem is that I want to fall pregnant again (I am still more than 10kg overweight from my first pregnancy). Due to various factors going on in our life at the moment, I need to fall pregnant within the next couple of months. But I am very concerned about my weight and being pregnant again. I suffer from high blood pressure that sky rocketed with my previous pregnancy. I also had a very difficult pregnancy and I' m afraid the extra kilo' s this time will make it even worse.

What can I do to speed up my weight loss within the next 2 months?
What measures can I follow that if I do fall pregnant and I haven' t managed to loose as much weight as I' ve hoped, to ensure that I do not gain a lot of weight this time around?

Dear Me
If you suffer from insulin resistance (IR) and potential high bp during pregnancy, then it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, high bp and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). The dietitian will also have to monitor your diet and weight throughout your pregnancy to ensure that you do not gain too much weight and also don't develop pre-eclampsia.
Holding thumbs for that pregnancy