Posted by: Mike | 2013/02/05


I am 61 years old , have had multiple bypass surgery , a back op , have diabetes ,and have bad arthritis , mainly in back ?? , and all other joints , which is getting worse . If I go to gym and workout for a while , an hour or so later I can hardly walk . All the joints seize up . I eat a lot of bread and have had corn flakes and / or rice crispies since I was a kid . Is it possible thta the bread and cereal might be causing the bad joints and obesity ???

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Mike
Any food when eaten to excess can cause weight gain and obesity. Your arthritis may be caused by a buildup of purines in the body. If you suffer from gouty osteo-arthritis then you actually need to eat a diet that is low in compounds called 'purines'. Generally speaking anyone with gout needs to avoid a buildup of uric acid in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements. Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely. Alcohol and rich, fatty foods, as well as high intakes of foods that contain fructose (fruit juice and fruits) also exacerbate gout. I wrote an article on 'NEW DIETARY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOUT' which you should be able to access by clicking on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and doing a Search with the title of the article. The gout may respond to an increase in the intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon oil capsules are a good source of omega-3. Because you suffer from multiple health problems, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can provide you with an individual diet prescription which takes all your health conditions into account and helps you lose weight.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: mawonga | 2013/02/10

Hi Dr.
I''m Mawonga suffer from high blood pressure. I want to loose weight but i dont know what to do. I bougt a PHEDRA-CUT LIPOXT but i dont know whetherr to use it or not. Please help

Reply to mawonga

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.