Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2004/01/23

overweight

I am 43 years, height 5.9" and weigh 82kgs. About 6 years ago I gave up smoking and put on 7 kgs. I lucikly managed to loose it all but over the last couple of years and put on 12kgs!! I have had a series of colds and flus and haven't been able to exercise as much. My weak times are in the evenings when I I tend to "treat" myself. I would appreciate a few guidelines!

Dear Gillian
Your present BMI = 26,8, which is above the upper limit of the normal range (18-25). To get back into the normal range you would have to weigh 73 kg (BMI of 24). To lose weight you need to eat a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy), and combine it with regular exercise (join Walk for Life or a good gym or do a home workout in the evenings when you get tempted! - ask Fitness Doc for such a workout).