Question
Posted by: d | 2003/02/18

overweight

My boyfriend is about 20 kg overweight and I know that he is unhappy about it. Yet whenever we talk about it we end up in an argument. How can I change his views about his eating habits without ending up in an argument or offending him, as it has caused problems in our relationship before

Dear D
It is understandable that your boyfriend feels sensitive about his weight and the only way in which you can approach this problem is to use positive affirmation - praise any positive behaviour - if he eats a salad instead of roast potatoes, if he joins you for a walk, etc. The only person who can take the decision to lose weight is your boyfriend - the motivation must come from him. If you ease up on the subject, he may well feel less pressurised and take the initiative.