Question
Posted by: Mom | 2008/01/24

overweight 10 yr old

My 10 old daughter weighs 50kg, takes a size 34 pants, and eats adult portions. Please just note we the type of family that believe that some of the old remedies are there best. Therefore we only buy fresh fruit and veggies. We have red meat about twice a week, chicken about twice a week and fish the other three days. She does not have a sweet tooth either and therefore has a chocolate bar once in 3 weeks maybe a smaller sweet twice or thrice a week including weekends. She does swimming 4 times a week if the weather permits, and ballet once a week. I have changed our diets to include snacks in the lunch boxes consisting of fresh carrots and green beans, only two slices of brown bread, some times white bread. And at least two fruit. She has a oros juice every alternate day, the other days she has water.

I know that what she has is plain down fat as it is slowly turning into cellulite. The dimples on her thighs and stomach are something that I dont even have. In fact I am thinner than she is.

Please I am deperate, what can I do? She is starting to get a complex as she is reaching the adolesence period in her life.

Dear Mom
I agree that your lassie is indeed overweight because the average weight for a 10-year-old is 28 kg. As a first step I would recommend that you have her examined by a medical doctor to determine if she has any underlying condition that is contributing to her overweight (e.g. hormone problems such as insulin resistance or hypothyroidism). If she is given a clean bill of health then it is advisable to take her to a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a diet for her that helps her to loose weight but still provides all the nutrients she needs for healthy growth. Finally you need to encourage her to become as physically active as possible. Playing sport, swimming, cycling, going for walks, skipping - anything to get her to be active every day. Research indicates that exercise is one of the most important factors in helping children to lose weight.
Holding thumbs for all of you