Question
Posted by: D | 2007/03/05

Overtraining?

A lot of people say that I am overtraining, but I dont think I am doing enough.
My training is: Monday, Wednesday, Friday - I do 45 minutes upper body and stomach resistance training and 20 minutes running on the treadmill.
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday - I do 45 minutes lower body and stomach resistance training and 20 minutes cyclying.
Sunday I rest.
I currently weigh 60kg, 1.75m tall.
I dont want to lose weight, just tone, therefore I do more resistance training than cardio. However, I still have a bit of fat to loose on my upper legs.
What do you suggest I change? And do you think I am training too much and therefore stopping progress?
Thanks.

Hi D

There's no sure way of saying someone is training too much, unfortunately. It depends on the person, and so while some people would find this too hard, others will not. It seems from your question that you are coping fine with it, and so that leads me to suggest that you just continue, and don't worry too much about overdoing it, yet. Having said that, there is definitely a point at which exercise can become excessive, and you have to be on the alert for these signs. The big one is failure to perform. You may find that your daily 1km swim takes a couple minutes longer, but you feel that you are working just as hard, if not harder. If that happens for maybe 2 or 3 days in a row, then it's a sign that you need a break and should rest, even if it's just for a couple of days. Some of the others are lack of sleep, irritability, loss of enjoyment etc. Any of these should set off alarm bells, if they persist for a long time. However, until such time, keep it up and enjoy training.

As for the content of the training at the moment, I do think that you may need a little more cardio training, and less on the weights. I appreciate that your goal is to tone and not so much to lose weight, but the cardio is a big part of toning as well. You can't be toned until you have reduced the body fat in those areas that you find problematic. So I think that a slight increase in cardio, perhaps to 30 minutes, or maybe 45 minutes on one or two days a week, will be beneficial. But you must keep that rest day in there, and mix up the training if you ever feel bored with it.