Question
Posted by: D. | 2004/11/15

overcoming force

Help please. I have this problem that I know what is right and wrong to say, however when the situation comes up (especially with my boyfriend) and I know that what I am thinking is wrong and I should not say it, I get this 'thing' that overcomes me and I just cant control it. I then say all the wrong things which are hurtful and I dont mean. I just cant seem to control it. What should I do? Do I need professional help.

You can control it ; at prresent, for some reason you don't. But you can. Seeing a professional counsellor could help a good deal. And meantime, as Shaun says, whenever this sort of situation arises, you can recognize this, so stop, take a deep breath, count to ten, and change the subject. You can do it.

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/15

Hi D,

Yep, I would suggest you do need help.

Know that often, in the heat of the moment, we most of us say things we hope we didn't. Also know that if you are anything like I am, then more often than not, we "expect" those close to us to understand what's going on in our heads. Just remind yourself that if you don't say, nobody will know.

If you can, I would suggest that you maybe take a deep breadth to calm yourself before you reply. But it would be wiser at the moment to await the response of our local professional.

Take care,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun