Question
Posted by: DEBORAH | 2007/04/16

overactive thyroid/eltroxin/overweight

I have a overactive thyroid, I take 0,1 ml eltroxin but I am overweight by 10kg

Dear Deborah
I must admit that I am puzzled by the fact that you take Eltroxin and are overweight by 10 kg if your thyroid is overactive. In most cases, an overactive thyroid leads to pronounced weight loss and requires totally different medical treatment. Are you sure you don't suffer from HYPO- thyroidism or underactive thyroid? In any case, I would recommend that you use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). However, and this is important, if you really do have an overactive thyroid then you MUST first ask your dr if you are allowed to do physical activity before you start to exercise.