Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/21

over-weight child

I have a 9 years daughter who weight 55kg , What can menu\food can I give her or pack for lunch-box at school , because she know develop strech -marks in thighs.Please help as she doesn' t want to exercise .I realy need help before is to late .or must I take her to the doctor

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Reader
It is always a good idea to have a young child who is very overweight first assessed by a medical dr because we need to know if her obesity (she weighs more than double the normal weight of a 9-year-old) is being caused by a physical problems (hormone deficiencies, diabetes, etc) or just overeating and lack of exercise. If the dr can find no physical cause for your daughter's overweight and you can take her to a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), it would be very good because she needs to have a diet prescription worked out for her that helps her to lose weight, but still provides all the nutrients she needs for health growth. In the meanwhile click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles for school children which will indicate what foods and how much of them she should be eating. There are also tips on lunch boxes. If she reduces her food intake to the normal level for a 9-year-old AND starts doing some physical activity like going for walks or skipping every day for 30 min, then she should lose weight. You may have to join her in the activity to encourage her and also make quite sure that there are no high-fat, high-energy foods in the house. Experts agree that one of the most important ways of helping youngsters to lose weight is to increase their physical activity, so you as her Mom will have to lead the way. Use tissue oil on the stretch marks.
Holding thumbs that you can help your lassie to lose weight.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.