Question
Posted by: Justine | 2005/07/17

over-the-counter thyroid support tablets

I am interested to know whether these "THYROID SUPPORT" slimming aids, that can be bought over-the-counter at the Pharmacies and Clicks Stores nationwide, are of any real benefit. (I think they contain L-Tyrosine).

Dear Justine
If these over-the-counter products contain tyrosine, which is an amino acid that is involved with the formation of thyroid hormone or thyroxin, then there is no guarantee that this amino acid will be linked to iodine in the thyroid gland to form the active hormone. The thyroid gland may not be functioning properly, so ingesting large amounts of the amino acid tyrosine will not produce hormone formation. Eltroxin (thyroid hormone replacement) is classified as Schedule 3 which can only be prescribed by a medical dr. I am personally not in favour of the use slimming pills and diet aids because most of them can have negative side-effects. If you suffer from a thyroid deficiency then ask your dr for the correct treatment because it is highly dangerous to tamper with thyroid function.

1
Posted by: Sasha | 2005/07/19

YOU SHOULD NOT USE THYROID MEDICATION FOR SLIMMING. YOU WILL END UP WITH LOTS OF THYROID PROBLEMS AND EVENTUALLY NEED TO HAVE IT REMOVED. YOU'LL BE VERY, VERY SORRY.

Reply to Sasha