Question
Posted by: Windmill | 2004/01/20

Over indulgence. How can I loose weight when I love eating/nibbling and have a sweet tooth?

I am 1.56 and weigh around 58kg. I do endurance sport competitively and understand that I need to wiegh less, however I battle controlling my food intake. I eat wisely in the day but after returning from training in the evening, having a good supper I cannot wait to hit the chocolate and that is where it all goes downhill. I live to eat. In a way it is part of a habit but I do not know how to break it without feeling as though Im depriving myself. I then try to get rid of the sweet tooth with salty foods, but that does not work. I really want to loose weight about 5kg, but can never get them off. I eat a lot when bored, how can I control my thoughts from wondering to food? I live to eat and cant wait for my next meal. I have tried snacking all day, but then I snack CONSTANTLY. It almost sounds like Im obsessed with food - how do I take my mind of it? Once Ive piged out I also feel incredibly guilty and just eat more with the "What the hell, Ive just trained hard and listen to what my body wants" kind of attitude. Only when I am so stuffed do I stop and then regret it all and will not become anemic and hate myself. I tell myself "tomorrow I will burn it off", or "tomorrow I will eat the minimal" - but come supper time again...I have even tried eating straight forward honey to kill my sweet tooth, but I then crave honey and a rice cake, or honey on my fruit. Please help.

Dear Windmill
At present your BMI = 23,9, which is in the normal range. Your ideal BMI of 22 can be achieved if you weigh 53 kg, thus 5 kg less. You don't mention what 'eating wisely during the day' entails? Do you eat sufficient unprocessed carbohydrates to provide you with sufficient energy for your extensive exercise programme? If not, then your body is reacting normally by letting you know that it needs carbs. If you click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' you can obtain a copy of a low-fat, high-carb, high-fibre diet. Use this diet as your basis to ensure that you ingest large amounts of carbohydrate (the unprocessed type is not going to make you gain weight) and little fat. Give this diet a try for a month and let's see if your condition does not improve. Remember that some of the fittest and thinnest athletes in the world are the cyclists who participate in the Tour De France and they eat up to 70% of their energy in the form of carbs! Make you think, doesn't it?

1
Posted by: hannah | 2004/01/22

you know. i have this same exact problem... hahaha, i'm surprised someone in this world shares this problem with me! I LOVE EATING. i live to eat as well. once i start.. i can't stop.
i hate to admit it.. but we lack self control. we need to start controlling our stomachs, not our stomachs controlling us. it's soooo hard to follow through.. but i suggest starting with little goals. like, only one piece of chocolate today. set those little goals, then follow through. hopefully it'll work!!

GOOD LUCK! :D i'll need it too! :)

Reply to hannah