Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2007/04/30

Over-active Thyroid

I am female, 28 years old. I have been tested and have an over-active Thyroid. Palpitations, swollen/enlarged thyroid, I am going to get a sonar on Friday. What is the way forward? do I need an op to get this sorted? please, any information will help.

Hi Lisa
Depends on what the sonar finds - one can have a diffuse enlarged thyroid, or just a overactive nodule. Sometimes they need to operate, or they can give you radioactive iodene treatment to just supress the overactive cells. Sometimes when you have an inflammation or viral infection of the thyroid, the thyroid is overactive and then gradually becomes underactive after a few months.

1
Posted by: Karen | 2007/04/30

Depends how overactive itis. My sister was diagnosed with Graves Disease (sounds worse than it is) that is a very over active thyroid, instead of surgery she had the radium treatment which is a tablet taken and that is supposed to destroy part of the thyroid, in some cases it can destroy the entire thing which then means you are on eltroxin for the rest of your life.

That is what happened to my siter, she now is on eltoxin and is just fine, she has not gained weight and is very slim and trim.

Reply to Karen