Question
Posted by: ORANGE | 2007/08/24

OVER ACTIVE BOWELS

I am a vegetarian. In my 30's. I eat lots of vegetables, pulses and fruit. I drink plenty of water. On average I have 4 bowel movements a day! They are also regularly not solid. This has been happening for about 6 months now. I don't exercise as much as I should. Is this ok?

Dear Orange
The fact that you have 4 bowel movements a day could be due to your very high fibre intake because you are a vegetarian. However, it is always a good idea to have a medical checkup when your bowel movements change. You say you have had this high frequency for 6 months. Were you a vegetarian before it started? if so, a medical checkup is indicated because you may suffer from Irritable Bowel Disease (IBS) of the diarrhoea variety or some other underlying condition (an infection, etc). Have a checkup just in case.