Question
Posted by: Trees | 2008/01/18

Ovarian Drilling?

Can anyone have ovarian drilling done or is it only for someone with PCOS? What does ovarian drilling cost / do medical aids cover ovarian drilling? Please help - I am really desparate!!!
TTC for 5 years now with absolutely no luck in everything I've tried - fertomid, staminogro, clomid (no period / no ovulation).

Dear Trees

Ovarian drilling should be reserved for those cases where definite PCOS has been diagnosed. Even in such cases it is now believed that ovarian drilling does not confirm any long-term benefits and if the patient did not conceive within the nine months of drilling the benefits of the procedures are totally lost. On the other hand, other forms of treatment may be of greater use in PCOS, such as ovulation induction, dietary control as well as the use of glucophage etc. Therefore in the non- PCOS patient ovarian drilling would certainly be discouraged even if Medical aids do cover. There is a definite risk of causing thermal damage to the normal ovary with resultant destruction of thousands of eggs and this in itself may render the person infertile.