Question
Posted by: taz | 2007/12/03

ovarian cysts & hormones

hi there. my gynae seems to be adamant about having people on yasmin & estrofen.

My hormone level was last measured as being 9. according to him it should be between 600 & 1000. so i asked what can be done about it as im 23 & because of my low hormone count im experiencing early menopausal signs. anyway. he said either i take yasmin & estrofen (estrofen makes me want to kill people) or i go off the pill & let my body do it all naturally. iv had about 5 periods on my own in my entire life. the rest of the time iv been on the pill & dont have a period when im off of it. now that im off the pill i have a cyst on my ovary. im not concerned as iv heard that they pop on their own & its not such a great danger.

however this gynae gave me a mouthful this morning saying i need to go back on the pill or ill have to have an op to make the cyst go away. i think its ridiculous. please advise me here.

There must be a reason why your oestrogen is low and why you don't have periods off the Pill. You have not told me what this is. If it is PCOS, which is quite a common reason for the above, then it is advisable to stay on the Pill. I don't think that the estofem is necessary as Yasmin contains oestrogen.
In terms of cysts on the ovary, it depends on the size and whether they are simple cysts or not.