Question
Posted by: zee | 2005/11/21

OVARIAN CYSTS DRILLING

I have PCOS, no ovulation, and very irregular cycles
I want to know what are the chances of conceiving after the DRILLING procedure? I have tried FERTIBOOST, CLOMID and other natural therapies and medications without success.

Dear Zee

The question simply revolves on how severe your PCO really is. In cases where the ovaries are significantly enlarged, and contain a large number of cysts, as determined by ultra sound scanning, and also in cases where the ovarian capsule is significantly thickened, then ovarian drilling may well be an alternative procedure one should consider.
However, if the ovarian drilling is performed by an inexperienced surgeon, this may lead to unnecessary thermal damage, (ie heat spread around the drilling sites which may indeed cause the loss of a large number of healthy eggs as a result of the heat dissipated from the drilling site).

Furthermore, following the drilling procedure, the possibility of natural conception is rather errratic and can not be predicted with any degree of certainty. It is often practised, that following the drilling procedure, the use of some sort of ovulation induction agent such as clomid, or the use of clomid together with injectable induction agents, be of greater benefit to the possibility of conception.
Fertiboost is of limited use in his situation.