Question
Posted by: SCC | 2004/10/27

Ovarian Cysts causes?

I discovered today that I have an ovarian cyst in my right ovary. I would like to know what causes this and does having a cyst on your ovary influence your hormones as I have been having terrible mood swings and my period is very late although I am not pregnant. I have stopped taking the pill as I want to change over to the injection. Another question, do you have to have your ovary removed if you have a cyst and does it affect your infertility??

There are different types of cysts. The commonest ones are functional cysts, whioch are just persstence of the normal cysts that occur every month as the egg grows. They can influence your hormone levels. You do not necessarily have to have the cyst removed. It depends on the size and consistency. You may not ovulate in that cycle, but there should not be any long term effect on fertility.