Question
Posted by: KAT | 2007/06/08

ovarian cysts

Hi there,
My scan showed that I have 1 cyst on each ovary. One is 2cm the other 1/2 cm. I am having very irregular periods and have been since Feb 2007. My gynae said they should clear within three month. How are they going to clear by themselves, what causes them and lastly why do they cause irregular period?.
Ive had a IUD for many years. Hope you can answer my concerns.
Thx

Reproductive age group women all have monthly "cyst" formation as the egg that develops forms in the cyst. A cyst essentially is not cancer and it is in fact a "bag with hormonal fluid". It may grow to a size of up to 7cm normally. Because it produces hormones it may cause your cycle to be irregular because it is this hormones that stimulate the lining of your uterus to prepare for a possible pregnancy. Each month these cysts form and then regress, some however as in your case persists causing abnormal period bleeding. Generally these cyst can be watched or we accasionally may use a hormone tab like a COC for eg to cause it to regress faster.