Question
Posted by: Moni | 2007/06/11

Ovarian cyst or tumor

Last year I had a cyst of 9cm removed from my right overy, my gynae put me on the pill to stop it from growing back again. I went for my yearly check-up last week and he discovered that the cyst has grown back (5cm), even though I am on the pill. My gynae told me that when a cyst keeps on growing back, they consider it more as a tumor than a cyst. He said I should go see him in a few months again and then he'll think about draining it again. Is this true that it is considered as a tumor? Is it possible that I might lose my overy?

"Tumor" means growth, not cancer per se.If at the time of surgery the cyst cannot be removed without causing too much ovarian bleeding or that it involve most of the ovary, you may lose your ovary. It is very rare that a simple cyst cannot be removed or drained without preserving the ovary. Continue your pill though in the mean while.