Question
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/10/31

Outdoor cats?

hi guys

as you know all of my cats are in door cats. this morning (whilst having tea in the garden with my hubby) bobby came to the door and was peering out through the glass, so i went and fetched him and stuck him on the grass with us. I thought it might be a good idea for him to realise what is actually out there incase he accidentally gets out one day, atleast he will know his surroundings.

he was very excited to be outside and spent twenty minutes just sniffing the grass, he kept coming back to rub on my leg to make sure i was still there and hadnt left him alone. only thing he didnt like was the pond... very strange as i thought he would love watching the fish.

he liked it so much we are going to take him out on a regular basis and try with the other cats too, we only took bobby this morning cos he cant run very fast and cant jump can only climb so had no chance of getting away from us and i walked with him where ever he went

My questions then:
1) can bobby catch anything yucky from being outside on our grass (dont means the obvious ticks and fleas but illnesses etc)?
2) are indoor cats really lacking that much being indoors as opposed to outside where dogs and cars can get them?
3) are there any special precautions i should take before letting bobby outside again (he is up to date with all his injections)?

Please just note that all the cats will be outside under supervision only. i can only imagine what bobby would get up to out there by himself!!

Letting them out under supervision is great. Cats love exploring to will enjoy being our. If the vacs are up to date they should be fine.

2
Posted by: Melbalina | 2006/11/01

Hi Buffs! Well, in my experience, if your cats were raised indoors, they wouldn't realise they are "missing" anything. They might be exposed to some germs in the air, but should be fine. Be warned though - they will meow often now to go out lol, but if you set a time period (routine) for the same time everyday, they will get the message. Bravo you are doing it under supervision, because then they will be fine.

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: Carol | 2006/10/31

Buffs he will be fine .. every ones circumstances are different ..my cats will sulk if they cant go out ... but where I stay there arent stray dogs .. and roads ...its a remote farm.

I dont think an indoor cat is deprived in any way it just depends what they are used to.

Reply to Carol