Posted by: concerned mom | 2008/07/07

out of control teenage daughter

I have a sixteen year old daughter. She rebells, tell lies, play the rest of the household against each other. We have taken her to a phyciatrist but she knows what to say and what to answer. She is a good actress in public. At her friends houses she helps in the household, help with making food etc. At home she does nothing and complains about anything and everything. She has an uncontrolled temper, believes we do not love her and has cut herself when she is in a corner. Last week she took her sister's car and drove around with 3 friends. Someone has seen her. The car keys are gone since then. I had to take my other daughter to college as the car keys are gone. She denies she took the car and has the keys. She says my older daughter has lost the keys and will just have to go and work to pay for the keys. We are desperate. Please help.

Uf she has seen a psychiatrist ( who should have asked for input from you before seeing her ) what did he say about her and how to handle her ? As mack says, best to select a shrink who usually works with children and adolescents. I rather like John's suggestion --- let her live elsewhere for some months, perhaps with a good friend or family member --- to appreciate what she has at home. And she may find it more of a strain to remain consistently adorable in front of other people, and either show them her current real self, or maybe adupt adorability as a habit to bring home with her

Posted by: John | 2008/07/07

Sometimes the absence of they things children scorn gives them a whole new appreciation for life - so turf her out for a few months. Since she becomes an angel elsewhere, let her go and live with a friend or relative. As she is 16, you have every right to search her room, without her permission, for the car keys. In being a brat, one surrenders certain rights - the most precious of these are territorial. So, I say kick her out and if you have a seargent-major for a family member, let her go and live there for a while.

Reply to John
Posted by: mack | 2008/07/07

I feel for you.We have a son that is the same,therapists unless they specilise in teenagers dont help.It is this modern society and the childrens rights that cause these unhappy situations, but this too will pass.HANG IN THERE !

Reply to mack