Question
Posted by: stan | 2006/07/16

other causes of hypothyroidism

Please explain the other causes (other than just a sluggish thyroid) of hypothyroidism. My daughter has been put on .75ug eltroxin but is being monitored "in case" there is another cause of the blood test results. (I do wonder why they didn't test for these other causes???). Also, she has had some diarrhoea since starting eltroxin. is this ok?

Hi Stan
thryroid hormone is bound to protein and transported this way in the blood - if for some reason the protein is low or high it may give a distorted view of the thyroid function.
see also http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/hypothyroidism/HYO_causes.html
Eltroxin usually does not cause diarrhoea as side effect - let your dr check this out.

3
Posted by: anon | 2006/07/16

Sam, Why I asked the age of your daughter, its common after birth, fluctuating hormones, for women to become hypothyroid. Do a google search "causes of hypothyroid" you will find a lot of information. Speak to the Dr about the side effects. It takes a couple of weeks before she will feel better. She will need more blood tests to check the levels of her TSH, T3 adn T4. I've had hypothyroid for many years, it began after the birth of my son. Later after more blood tests my antibodies were rather high, diagnosed as auto-immune hashimotos thyroiditis.

Reply to anon
Posted by: stan | 2006/07/16

she is 22

Reply to stan
Posted by: anon | 2006/07/16

Viral infections could cause hypothyroidism. Hashimotos thyroiditis is an auto-immune condition. High levels of antibodies in the blood determines hashimotos. A goiter is a swelling or growth on the thyroid. How old is your daughter.

Reply to anon