Question
Posted by: protea | 2006/07/18

Osteoporosis in young women

I'm in my early thirties and have been diagnosed with osteoporosis about 2 years ago. Is there anything I can take to help my bones get healthy again?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Protea,

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis so early in your life. The first question I would have is why? Has anyone told you why this condition has developed so early in you? Clearly there could be a physiological reason why you have developed Osteoporosis and this should be investigated. However, in some cases, it can simply be a problem with diet, exercise levels etc etc.

Your route back to healthy bones does depend upon a number of things, firstly how severe the osteoporosis is, secondly has an underlying cause been identified and thirdly are you suffering from any other concurrent illnesses. Simple things that that you can do to help is ensure you have an adequate diet, especially in calcium, magnesium and boron containing foods. In addition, ensure you get adequate levels if vitamins. If you smoke, give up. If you drink alcohol, cut done. Take some regular weight bearing exercise, at least 20 minutes 3-4 times weekly. If your osteoporosis is moderate to severe, you would be a good candidate for medication to improve your bone density.

I would discuss your condition further with your specialist to rule out any underlying problems and the possibility of requiring medication. Also, search the internet for diet recommendations.

I hope that this helps,

Kind regards,

Dr. Gary Riley