Question
Posted by: Adri | 2006/11/13

OSTEOPOROSIS - HIP

Im 57 and have been diagnosed with osteoporis in the hip. This is very painful. The specialist prescribed only Coxflam tablets. I find the hip very painful during the day as I sometimes do have to walk a lot. Is there anything else I can use in daytime that will ease the pain.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Adri,

I am not sure whether your diagnosis is Osteoporosis or Osteoarthritis. In essence, Osteoporosis is a condition where you lose bone density. This is not a particularly painful condition, although some patients do report a mild background ache, which may be associated. Osteoarthritis can be an extremely painful condition but can be successfully rectified with hip replacement surgery. I would advise you to book a consultation with an Orthopaedic surgeon for their opinion and treatment options.

Best wishes,

Dr. Gary Riley