Question
Posted by: Sue | 2004/12/07

Osteoporosis - am I doing enough

I am 33, do cardio weight-bearing exercise (running, rowing, stairclimber) between 3 and 4 times a week. I also swim once a week, but that's not weight-bearing. I eat healthily 80% of the time and get at least 1 small tub of yoghurt a day. I had thyroid cancer 4 years ago and am on Eltroxin, which, I read the other day ups your chances of osteoporosis. There is no history of osteopirosis in my family, although my gran died of rheumatoid arthritis. Am I doing enough now to ward off osteoporosis, or should I take calcium supplements?

It would be a good idea to take calcium supplements form the age of 35 years.

1
Posted by: Macy | 2004/12/08

You should have a DEXA scan and thereafter visit a dietician.

Reply to Macy